Working with Maps in Webapps
More on Maps
List of solutions
Free and/or Open Source Solutions
These are free to use, or at least have a free tier
- “You can download U.S. Map from Github as well as view the source or even fork it. It is licensed under the BSD Standard License”
- Commerical, but has a GPL free tier
Solutions based on other larger frameworks
- https://d3js.org/: D3.js is a web framework for data visualization. It deserves a whole separate tutorial.
- Apparently, it also has features for doing geographic maps.
- Here is one example: http://bl.ocks.org/michellechandra/0b2ce4923dc9b5809922
- Here is a library built on d3.js: https://datamaps.github.io/
- Google Maps
These cost money. I am including them only so that you can “rule them out” if you are doing web searches (assuming that you don’t want to spend the money, which you probably don’t if you are doing a student or class project.)
These appear to be a little more “fringe” than the others, but are intriging.
- This presents the interesting idea of state outlines as characters in a web font.
- Allows making a map, but I wasn’t able to find an API.